Having impact windows installed on your property offers a wide array of benefits. They provide excellent hurricane protection, they help keep your house safe from burglaries and break-ins, and they offer excellent savings on your energy bills. One of the lesser known benefits of impact windows, however, is their insurance savings. For more information on how storm windows can help you save big, here’s ASP Window’s guide to the insurance benefits of impact windows.
Insurance Benefits of Impact Windows
In 2015, the State of Florida passed legislation which states that insurance providers must offer discounts to those who have implemented wind mitigation techniques designed to limit damage to their property from winds and storms. Enshrined in Statute 627.0628, it reads:
“a rate filing for residential property insurance must include actuarially reasonable discounts, credits, or other rate differentials, or app
ropriate reductions in deductibles, for properties on which fixtures or construction techniques demonstrated to reduce the amount of loss in a windstorm have been installed or implemented.”
Several items qualify under the statute as a “wind mitigation” feature, including:
- Doors and windows that are built to withstand high wind loads and projectiles.
- Roofing materials that protect a home from wind and rain.
- Special products used to prevent walls or roofs for being blown away during a windstorm.
- Building or roof shapes that are more resistant to high winds.
Impact windows clearly fall under this definition, as they are specifically designed to withstand substantial damage from winds and debris. So, what does that mean for the average homeowner? Well, simply put, it means significant savings! While each insurance provider is different, in some instances, homeowners have received up to a 45% discount on their home’s insurance premiums – a very big savings indeed!
What Is Required for an Insurance Discount?
When it comes to insurance discounts things can vary a bit from provider to provider, so before you install any impact windows, it is best to consult with your homeowner’s insurance provider to see what insurance incentives will be available to you after hurricane windows are installed. Generally speaking, though, the following information is typically required in order to receive a discount on your insurance premiums:
- You need to provide your insurance company with a wind mitigation inspection report.
- The mitigation techniques chosen must cover all openings in your property.
- Insurance discounts do not apply to mobile homes.
- The insurance discount only applies to any wind damage which is part of your policy.
- The impact windows must comply with the current Florida Building Code.
If you are looking to install impact windows to protect your home this hurricane season, we’re here to help. At ASP Windows, we want you to be worry free when the next storm’s coming. Fully licensed and insured, and Ygrene certified, we offer no down payment and 100-percent financing until December 2018 on new impact windows and installation. Contact us today at (888) 782-8342 for a free in-home estimate on our extensive range of fully customizable windows, doors, and glass.