Everyone who lives in Florida knows that there is no getting away from hurricanes. Before the season begins, all of them start preparing to face it their way. A few people migrate to other states while the season is on. Some of them fortify their homes with shutters before they leave. Others only take precious stuff with them and hope that everything else stays intact when they return.
But that’s not the story of everyone. Some people also install the best hurricane impact doors and windows and stay in their homes throughout the season. Unlike regular doors and windows, impact doors and windows are built to withstand the most severe hurricanes, storms, and debris flying like projectiles.
Choosing the Best High Impact Custom Doors to Install
The first thing you need to do is approach your preferred impact windows and doors company. You can tell about what you need and how you would like your doors and windows to be. After that, they will share a list of available designs they have that fit your requirement. You can go through the list and choose the ones you like most.
Some Qualities You Can Look For
- Thick Gauge Aluminum: Doors made from thick gauge aluminum have much higher durability. These do not rot or rust over time too. Their thickness also makes them highly immune to dents and scratches.
- Finishing Choices: The most ideal choices you can go for include bronze or anodized finishes. Alternatively, you can also go for custom wood grain and keynar, which are wonderful treats to eyes.
- Insulated Impact Glass Options: These look amazing from top to bottom, are strong, and can help you save a lot on energy bills too.
- Widths and Height of Panels: Door panels can come in all kinds of widths and heights. You could use panels that go as high as 11 feet and as wide as 4 feet. The final configuration will be just as per your own preference and available space.
- Locking System: You could look for the best lock systems that are virtually unbreachable! For instance, one of the best options available around nowadays is a standard sentinel 3-point lock system that also comes with lever handles and decorative backplates. You could even consider commercial lock mechanisms that come with elegant pull handles.
Remember, even the best hurricane impact doors and windows need an equally strong frame to support them. Regular frames of your older door just won’t do. Impact doors and windows are heavier, and so need something that can take their weight and also the strong wind pressure and impact of debris when the hurricane season begins.
Speak to your impact windows and doors specialist about the kind of windows and doors you can install at your home. You could give them a tour of the house and explain your preferences before they present customized solutions for your home.