Some people swear by impact windows. Other people stand behind accordion shutters. What’s a confused South Florida homeowner to do? How can you protect your house during our notorious hurricane season with all this conflicting information out there? Well, you’re in luck because today we’re here to settle the age-old debate of impact windows vs accordion shutters once and for all. Here are the benefits of each and which one will come out on top.
The Benefits of Impact Windows
Impact windows – which are made of impact glass and reinforcing materials like argon gas and insulation – offer some serious benefits for South Floridians. Some of the most significant benefits are:
- Superior protection – Impact windows provide industry-leading protection from tropical depressions, storms, and hurricanes.
- Around the clock protection – You don’t have to worry about closing your hurricane shutters. Your windows are installed, and then your home is protected 24/7.
- UV and heat protection – Impact replacement windows help keep UV light out of your home, which also helps keep your home cool. Both of these factors lead to lower energy bills.
- Natural light – Hurricane shutters block out all natural light, which can be frustrating if you lose power in a storm. Impact windows let this light in.
- Save money on insurance – This benefit isn’t guaranteed, but many homeowners insurance policies offer savings or rebates if you install impact glass windows.
- Reduces noise – While impact windows don’t cancel all noise pollution, they cut out a substantial amount of it.
The Benefits of Accordion Shutters
Accordion shutters, also known as hurricane shutters, aren’t too shabby either. They offer your home several serious benefits, including:
- Good protection – While hurricane shutters don’t provide quite the same level of storm protection that impact windows do, they’re certainly better than many options (like plywood boards or patterned tape).
- Upfront cost savings – Accordion shutters are less expensive to install than impact glass windows.
- Customizable styles – You have a lot of accordion shutter options to choose from (type, style, color, material, etc.).
- Insurance savings – Just like saving money on your insurance premium isn’t guaranteed with impact windows, it isn’t guaranteed with hurricane shutters either. Still, most policies do offer discounts after installing storm protection precautions like shutters.
- No need to repair – Impact windows may suffer damage if struck by flying debris. Hurricane shutters might too, but since they’re not visible most of the time, you probably won’t feel the need to repair them.
Shutters vs Impact Windows
Having looked at the various benefits of both, it’s time to get to the nitty gritty. Impact windows vs accordion shutters? The answer is…impact windows!
We’re not just saying that either. Impact windows offer better protection for your home, which is unquestionably the most critical factor when deciding between the two. If that wasn’t enough to sway you, then the added benefits of 24/7 protection, UV light reduction, noise reduction, and energy efficiency should. Impact windows do have a higher upfront cost, but they’re well worth for the amount of stress and uncertain they relieve. But just don’t forget that we also offer a variety of services, which include the best Commercial Retail Glass Installation services!